Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE)
Euro (EUR) Yearly
1. GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
1.1 POST IDENTIFICATION
Primary Location: Italy – La Spezia
NATO Body: Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE)
Application Deadline: 28 April 2019
Salary (Pay Basis) 10.371,70 (EUR) Monthly
Clearance Level: Cosmic Top Secret
1.2 POST CONTEXT
The Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE) is an executive body of the Science and Technology Organization (STO) and is governed by the NATO Science and Technology Board (STB) under the provisions of the STO Charter. Within the framework of the STO in-house delivery business model, the CMRE organizes and conducts scientific research and technology development and delivers innovative, field-tested S&T solutions to address the defence and security needs of the Alliance.
The CMRE operates in a challenging international environment, interacting with a broad range of stakeholders from military, political and scientific organizations.
The Deputy Director is the second in authority of the Centre. All the administrative offices of the Centre report to the Deputy Director including: Security, Health and Safety, Business Support Office, Human Resources, Budget and Finance, Purchasing and Contracting, and General Services.
1.3 MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES
The incumbent will perform primarily duties such as the following:
Represents the Director as required in his/her absence
Be responsible for the efficient and safe operation of the CMRE on a day-to-day basis
Lead the development of the annual Financial Plan. Develop and forecast multi-year human resources, financial, and investment plans required to position the Centre to reach its business and operational goals
Lead Strategic Planning for the Centre including an annual five-year strategic plan that will define the expected outlook of Centre involvement and describe how the Centre competency areas, resources, and tools should develop to best support this engagement
Lead the formulation and monitor the execution of the CMRE’s annual programme of work in coordination with Head Research, Head Engineering and Information Technology, and the Business Support Office
Identify, resolve, and manage cross-organizational programmatic and resource prioritisation issues while balancing sponsor satisfaction with the delivery of coherent capabilities to NATO and other customers
Maintain knowledge of technological developments and resource management best practices relevant to the work of the CMRE
Represent CMRE’s scientific and technological objectives and accomplishments to other S&T agencies, industry, academia, government organizations, the international community, and the general public
Promote CMRE activities to NATO, S&T, armaments, and operational counterparts of allied nations, Industry and other stakeholders
Develop and negotiate joint research projects, cooperative and partnership agreements, and manage international collaboration programmes with the Business Support Office
Provide guidance and advice to the scientific departments on CMRE’s strategic directives and the vision of CMRE’s programme of work
The incumbent is an agent for change in the CMRE culture, business processes, and procedures
1.4 ADDITIONAL DUTIES
The incumbent may be required to perform his or her duties onboard Centre vessels and may be called upon to perform like duties elsewhere in the organization.
Flexibility Clause: In order for the organization to deal with emergent requirements, the incumbent may be required to perform other related duties as directed (in particular, the incumbent can expect to work as a member of Working Groups, Project Teams, etc. for defined periods of time).
Annual TDY Requirement: The incumbent can expect to go on TDY both within and outside NATO’s boundaries
2 QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
2.1 ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS
We are looking for a candidate with a PhD degree in scientific, engineering, or information or related technology field and 12 years post-related experience; or a Master (MSc)/MA degree in a related discipline with 15 years post-related experience.
- Experience in leading successful customer-funded organizations.
Experience in research related to the maritime environment, systems, or operations.
- Senior level management experience of an S&T lab or team that has brought innovation in the maritime/naval domain.
- Management experience in planning, programming, and budgeting at various levels.
- Experience in the leadership and management of a highly qualified workforce and sophisticated technological assets in S&T organizations of recognized national or international standing.
- Practical experience in the conduct of international relations and demonstrated ability to work effectively in an international environment with scientific and/or military personnel at all levels.
- Knowledge of military capability development processes.
- Broad knowledge of military technology.
- Demonstrate strategic and innovative thinking.
- Demonstrate experience in change leadership.
- Practical experience in security matters.
- Knowledge of information management.
English SLP 4444 (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing).
3 DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced training in management or an equivalent cross-functional management experience.
- Experience with accountability to government administrators.
- Leadership in the defence sector.
- Demonstrated record of leading successful organizational transformation.
- Experience of quality management principles (e.g., ISO 9001).
- Knowledge of project management software tools.
- Knowledge of additional languages.
- Experience working with Italian civilian and military organizations and authorities.
- Change Leadership
- Analytical Thinking
- Developing Others
- Customer Service Orientation
- Organizational Awareness
The post reports to the Director, CMRE and will direct the work of managers and team members within the Section.
Direct reports: 7 - 10
The incumbent may often be involved in significant discussions at senior committee level with representatives from NATO nations or other NATO bodies on behalf of the CMRE. Has a regular professional contact typically at senior management level inside and outside the Centre. Develops policy and processes which require explanation, discussion, persuasion and approval of actions.
6 WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work is normally performed in a typical Office environment.
The nature of this position may require the staff member at times to be called upon to travel for work and/or to work outside normal office hours.
7 WHAT DO WE OFFER
- A world-class research facility located in the sea port of La Spezia, Italy supported by two specialised research vessels.
- An exciting place in which to work situated at an ideal location, the port of La Spezia, Italy, enabling synergy with regional and global academic institutes and industry.
Salary and conditions of employment will be in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations (NCPR), which includes a rewarding salary and a comprehensive system of allowances, supplements and insurances to support families and, in case of expatriated staff, offers an interesting “expatriate” package.
A generous annual leave and, (where eligible) home leave.
The successful candidate will be offered a three years’ definite duration contract, which may be renewed for subsequent periods subject to business needs, satisfactory performance and the need to rotate skills and talent within the Organization.
Applicants who are not successful in this competition may be offered an appointment to another post of a similar nature, albeit at the same or a lower grade, provided they meet the necessary requirements.
8 RECRUITMENT PROCESS
- Please note that we can only accept applications from nationals of NATO member countries.
- Applications (including an electronic version of the CV, the most relevant publications, the diplomas – stating the highest level of education) for this vacancy are to be submitted using the E-recruitment system.
- Appointment will be subject to receipt of a security clearance (provided by the national Authorities of the selected candidate) and approval of the candidate’s medical file by the CMRE Medical Adviser.
- The deadline for receiving the applications is the 5th of May2019.
- The shortlisted candidates will undergo an Assessment Centre which will take place in Belgium (Brussels). Assessment Centre and final interview will be scheduled in the week of the 8th of July 2019.
9 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- CMRE values diverse backgrounds and perspectives and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce. We welcome applications of nationals from all Member States and strongly encourage women to apply.
- Selected candidates are expected to be role models of integrity, and to promote good governance through ongoing efforts in their work.
For any queries, please contact CMRE Recruitment Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about the CMRE and our work, please visit our website: www.cmre.nato.int