1. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine
2. Signal Processing Digital Library*
3. Inside Signal Processing Newsletter
4. SPS Resource Center
5. Career advancement & recognition
6. Discounts on conferences and publications
7. Professional networking
8. Communities for students, young professionals, and women
9. Volunteer opportunities
10. Coming soon! PDH/CEU credits
Click here to learn more.
Location: Instituto de Telecomunicações, Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon, Portugal
Project: With the emergence of consumer grade devices providing 3D geometry information, such as depth sensors, light field cameras, 2D camera arrays and new camera devices (e.g. Light L16), the way visual data is captured and transmitted is changing. Most often, these new devices provide additional geometry information about the visual scene besides the usual 2D texture information, by means of the clever use of optics, sensors (e.g. infrared), illumination (e.g. reflected light) and signal processing techniques. Thus, efficient techniques to represent this geometry information are urgently needed and 3D coding and description techniques have recently received renewed interest. This PhD position targets the development of coding and description schemes on novel 3D representations, such as a point cloud and light field data.
Research grant: The research grant is associated to a yearly renewable contract that includes an experimental period of 6 months. The research grant consists of a tax-free stipend of 980€ per month for PhD positions. The candidates must fulfill the following conditions:
• Background on the relevant technical areas. Preference will be given to candidates that better understand visual compression, computer vision and information retrieval fields.
• Strong motivation to perform research and to participate in a rich and stimulating group as well as to advance state-of-the-art through the publication of results in international conferences and peer reviewed journals.
• Fluent in English and with good skills in technical writing and presenting.
• Good programming skills (C/C++, Matlab, etc.) are required.
The following researchers will supervise the selected candidate: Prof. Fernando Pereira, Prof. João Ascenso and Prof. Catarina Brites (see http://www.img.lx.it.pt/Staff.html for details). The candidate will join a team of staff and PhD students where intense research and development activities in the image processing and coding fields are carried out.
To apply for the research grant, please submit your application at https://itlisbon.recruiterbox.com/jobs/11034 with the following documents:
1. Detailed curriculum vitae with transcripts (mandatory)
2. A motivation letter (research statement) explaining your interest in the position (mandatory)
3. Recommendation letter(s) (optional) or a list of individuals with contact information.
Note that if the above documents are not received, your application may not be considered. Applications shall be received until a suitable candidate for the position is found, but before 15/04/2017. Selected candidates will be submitted to one or more interviews. For any clarifications, please contact Prof. João Ascenso at firstname.lastname@example.org.