The IEEE Signal Processing Society’s more than 19,000 members span 100 countries worldwide, but technical Chapters serve IEEE members by holding meetings at the local level. If you’re interested in connecting with professionals, academics and students in your region, getting involved locally provides exciting opportunities for networking, research, and project collaboration with others interested in signal processing.
Chapters are constituted by a minimum of twelve members of a Society, or a group of Societies, and are established by petition to the parent geographical and technical organizational that work to fulfill the mission of IEEE.
Find your local chapter and connect with fellow industry professionals, academics and students
Visit the Chapter Toolkit to learn about chapter-specific materials, resources, programs and initiatives
The Society offers unique benefits to individual groups, including industry, students and young professionals, and women in signal processing, and numerous specialized events throughout the year. To see a list of upcoming events for these groups, visit the industry, students and young professionals and women in signal processing pages.
To find a local chapter, visit the Chapter Locator above. There, you will also find contact information with the Chapter leadership if you’d like to connect to learn more. You can also explore the main IEEE website for more information on technical chapters related to other societies.
Chapter Certification Process
The overall intent of this program is to diagnose and improve the state of Chapters within SPS to address the actual condition in interest, activity level, membership, rate of recruiting, and general activities of SPS Chapters.
Once a year, when L31 forms are submitted.
Chapters which are granted with the Certification will receive in the following year:
- A certificate of merit to the Chair.
- An appreciation certificate to each officer of the Chapter.
- Once they have their Certification, the Chair (or his/her representative) can apply for a travel support grant (up to $1,000 per Chapter) annually to attend the Chapter Chairs Meeting during the four year certification period. There will be an annual cap of $20K. If limit exceeded, the Regional Directors-at-Large will decide the support.
Chapters which are granted with the Certification will receive in the following four years during which the Certification is valid:
- Visibility on the SPS Webpage via a rotating banner during the month of certification and a listing of the Certified Chapters.
- Support and visibility via social media, but excluding conference related events.
- Visibility in the Chapter News section of the Inside Signal Processing Newsletter.
- Ability for Certified Chapters to apply for limited travel support to send one Student member from their Chapter to attend ICASSP and/or ICIP to support membership development. There will be an annual cap of $20K. If limit exceeded, the Regional Directors-at-Large will decide the support.
- Membership growth reward: Ability to request $50 per new member (up to $500) in additional funding for things such as networking events, poster awards, and food for seminars. The more new members they have the more likely it is that they can get the maximum amount. (Item subject to budget approval).
Chapter Development Status
Chapters which apply for the certification must submit a report to the Chapter Review Committee, describing the following items:
- Actual Chapter Organization and Management
- Contextual operational situation
- Chapter initial objectives
- List of activities in the previous year
- Chapter policies (e.g local geographical synergies with other chapters)
- Revised objectives for following year
- Speakers (DLs and other technical talks)
- Networking Meetings
- Administrative meetings
- Member Recruitment Activities and analysis
- Technical courses
- Workshops and Conferences organization
- Recognitions granted
- SP Student Branches development
- Joint Chapters management
- Assisting authors not publishing in SPS publications to join SPS
- Chapter Authorities Leadership outstanding remarks
- Give-aways to attract attendance
Chapters willing to compete for Chapter-of-the-Year Award (Awards & Submit an Award Nomination page), (CoYA) should indicate it in their form. Fully approved chapters maintain its status for four years.
- Around January: Yearly submission of a defined self-evaluation (4 pages max.) document to SPS Chapter Review Committee.
- The Chapter Review Committee provides to the Executive Office the completed scoresheet that includes the Regional Director’s comments on each Chapter. The results (status) can be "Fully Approved" (FA) or "Not Approved" (NA).
- ICASSP: The Chapter Review Committee makes a recommendation for the (FA) chapters at ICASSP to the Membership Board to grant the certification.
- May: Notification letters to the Chapter Chairs that include the Regional Director’s comments for each Chapter.
- The Certification is valid for 4 years following the year it was earned.
SPS has more than 170 Chapters and Student Branch Chapters worldwide and growing. Chapters give SPS members the valuable opportunity to engage with fellow signal processing engineers and professionals at locally-curated events. Chapters host technical talks, meetings, and social events to enable education, collaboration, and networking with fellow members and non-members alike.
If you’re interested in starting a new chapter or technical council, IEEE offers information to help guide you through the process of developing a Chapter. Please visit the main IEEE website for creating a new chapter.
If you have any questions about SPS Chapters, please contact the SPS Membership and Content Administrator, Jessica Perry.