1. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine
2. Signal Processing Digital Library*
3. Inside Signal Processing Newsletter
4. SPS Resource Center
5. Career advancement & recognition
6. Discounts on conferences and publications
7. Professional networking
8. Communities for students, young professionals, and women
9. Volunteer opportunities
10. Coming soon! PDH/CEU credits
Click here to learn more.
Researchers in Speech, Text and Multimodal Machine Translation at DFKI Saarbrücken, Germany
The MT group at ML at DFKI Saarbrücken is looking for
senior researchers/researchers/junior researchers
in speech, text and multimodal machine translation using deep learning.
3 year contracts. Possibility of extension. Ideal starting dates around June/July 2021.
- Research and development in speech, text and multimodal MT
- Scientific publications
- Co-supervision of BSc/MSc students and research assistants
- Possibility of teaching at Saarland University (UdS)
- Senior: PhD co-supervision
- Senior: Project/grant acquisition and management
Qualifications senior researchers/researchers:
- PhD in NLP/Speech/MT/ML/CS or related
- strong scientific and publication track record in speech/text/multimodal-NLP/MT
Qualifications junior researchers:
- MSc in CS/NLP/Speech/ML/MT or related (possibility to do a PhD at DFKI/UdS)
- Strong background in machine learning and deep learning
- Strong problem solving and programming skills
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English (German an asset, but not a requirement)
Working environment: the posts are in the “Multilinguality and Language Technology” MLT Lab at DFKI (the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence https://www.dfki.de/en/web/) in Saarbrücken, Germany. MLT is led by Prof. Josef van Genabith. MLT is a highly international team and does basic and applied research.
Application: a short cover letter indicating which level (senior / researcher / junior) you apply for, a CV, a brief summary of research interests, and contact information for three references. Please submit your application by Friday April 23rd, 2021 as PDF to Prof. Josef van Genabith (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating your earliest possible start date. Positions remain open until filled.
Selected MT at MLT group publications 2020/21: Xu et al. Probing Word Translation in the Transformer and Trading Decoder for Encoder Layers. NAACL-HLT 2021. Chowdhury et al. Understanding Translationese in Multi-View Embedding Spaces. COLING 2020. Pal et al. The Transference Architecture for Automatic Post-Editing. COLING 2020. Ruiter et al. Self-Induced Curriculum Learning in Self-Supervised Neural Machine Translation. EMNLP-2020. Zhang et al. Translation Quality Estimation by Jointly Learning to Score and Rank. EMNLP 2020. Xu et al. Dynamically Adjusting Transformer Batch Size by Monitoring Gradient Direction Change. ACL 2020. Xu et al. Learning Source Phrase Representations for Neural Machine Translation. ACL 2020. Xu et al. Lipschitz Constrained Parameter Initialization for Deep Transformers. ACL 2020. Herbig et al. MMPE: A Multi-Modal Interface for Post-Editing Machine Translation. ACL 2020. Herbig et al. MMPE: A Multi-Modal Interface using Handwriting, Touch Reordering and Speech Commands for Post-Editing Machine Translation. ACL 2020. Alabi et al. Massive vs. Curated Embeddings for Low-Resourced Languages: the Case of Yorùbá and Twi. LREC 2020. Costa-jussàet al. Multilingual and Interlingual Semantic Representations for Natural Language Processing: A Brief Introduction. In: Computational Linguistics (CL) Special Issue: Multilingual and Interlingual Semantic Representations for Natural Language Processing. Xu et al. Efficient Context-Aware Neural Machine Translation with Layer-Wise Weighting and Input-Aware Gating. IJCAI 2020
DFKI is one of the leading AI centers worldwide, with several sites in Germany. DFKI Saarbrücken is part of the Saarland University (UdS) Informatics Campus. UdS has exceptionally strong CS and CL schools and, in addition to DFKI, a Max Plank Institute for Informatics, a Max Plank Institute for Software Systems, the Center for Bioinformatics, and the CISPA Helmholz Center for Information Security.
Geographic environment: Saarbrücken (http://www.saarbruecken.de/en) is the capital of Saarland, one of the Federal States in Germany, located right in the heart of Europe and a cultural center in the border region of Germany, France and Luxembourg. Frankfurt and Paris are less than 2 hours by train. Living cost is moderate in comparison with other cities in Germany and Europe.