Manuscript Due: 15 April 2024
Publication Date: January 2025
The IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing invites submissions for a Special Issue on Neural Speech and Audio Coding. This special issue aims to address the contemporary challenges and opportunities in neural speech and audio coding, with a focus on the development of compact speech and audio representations for communication, archiving, and entertainment applications.
Scope: The advances in deep learning have significantly impacted various signal processing tasks, and audio coding is no exception. Neural networks have begun to challenge traditional codec systems, which has opened up a plethora of research problems and possibilities. The application of neural networks in audio coding encompasses issues such as reducing the complexity of AI models for on-device inference, creating low-delay model architectures for real-time processing, achieving transparent audio quality for entertainment, and ensuring robustness against environmental noise and acoustic artifacts. Moreover, neural speech and audio coding can serve as critical components in various applications, including virtual reality, communication systems, and media entertainment.
Topics: This special issue aims to bring together researchers and practitioners from academia and industry to share their latest findings and developments in neural speech and audio coding. The topics of interest for this special issue include but are not limited to:
- Generative models and neural vocoders for low bitrate coding
- Adversarial learning for coding applications
- Novel architectures for multichannel coding
- Psychoacoustics and perceptually motivated loss functions
- Low-delay, low-power, low-complexity models
- Speech and language models-driven machine learning methods
- Differentiable DSP and hybrids of ML and DSP
- Noise-robust speech coding
- Multimodal coding beyond speech and audio
- Real-world applications and use-cases of neural speech and audio coding
- Challenges and solutions in the integration of neural audio coding into existing systems
We encourage submissions that not only propose novel approaches but also substantiate the findings with rigorous evaluations, including real-world datasets. Studies that provide insights into the challenges involved and the impact of neural speech and audio coding on end-users are particularly welcome.
Submission Guidelines: Manuscripts should be original and should not have been previously published or currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. All submissions will be peer-reviewed according to the IEEE Signal Processing Society review process. Authors should prepare their manuscripts according to the Instructions for Authors available from the Signal Processing Society website.
- Manuscript Submission Deadline: April 15, 2024
- First Review Completion: July 1, 2024
- Revised Manuscript Due: August 1, 2024
- Second Review Completion: September 15, 2024
- Final Manuscript Due: November 1, 2024
- Publication Date: January 2025
For further information, please contact the guest editors at: