1. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine
2. Signal Processing Digital Library*
3. Inside Signal Processing Newsletter
4. SPS Resource Center
5. Career advancement & recognition
6. Discounts on conferences and publications
7. Professional networking
8. Communities for students, young professionals, and women
9. Volunteer opportunities
10. Coming soon! PDH/CEU credits
Click here to learn more.
A class of brain-inspired recurrent algorithms known as reservoir computing (RC) networks reduces the computational complexity and cost of training machine-learning models by using random, fixed synaptic strengths. This article offers insights about a spiking reservoir network, the liquid state machine (LSM), the inner workings of the algorithm, the design metrics, and neuromorphic designs. The discussion extends to variations of the LSM that incorporate local plasticity mechanisms and hierarchy to improve performance and memory capacity.
© Copyright 2020 IEEE – All rights reserved. Use of this website signifies your agreement to the IEEE Terms and Conditions.
A not-for-profit organization, IEEE is the world's largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity.